Become a Member of the CTGA of BC
We have three categories:
- Professional Membership: Open to any local or long-distance tour guide who is presently working either full or part time in the tourism profession. Cost: $65 a year plus a one time initiation fee of $25. If you live outside of the Metro Vancouver area, the fee is only $50 per-year [plus the one time initiation fee]. This category includes association voting rights.
- Associate Membership: This non-voting category is open to others who work within the tourism profession, such as a 'Meet and Greeter,' but not as a guide. Cost: $50 a year plus a one time initiation fee of $25. If you live outside of the Metro Vancouver area, the fee is only $50 per-year [plus the one time initiation fee].
- Alumni Membership: Members who have retired from the Tourism Industry. Cost: $50/year plus a one time initiation fee of $25.
- Student Membership: This non-voting category is open to any person who is taking, or is about to take, a full or part time course in tour guiding. Cost: $35 [good for one year only] plus the one time initiation fee of $25.
- Educator/Instructor Membership: Cost: $35/year plus a one time initiation fee of $25.
You can join the association whenever you wish (however applications should only be sent in between mid-September to late March. This is because our Board does not meet after mid-April to early October and therefore we can't approve new memberships during this time). First time memberships are now pro-rated to December 31st. Our Membership dates are from January 1st to December 31st. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Do You Live Outside of the Vancouver Area?
The CTGA of BC has many Members who live not only outside of Vancouver, the province, but even the country. Although these Members rarely get to any of the meetings or events we hold, they enjoy the benefits of our Members Only section of our website. For more details contact us.
Who are our members?
Some Tour Guides, Tour Directors, Driver-Guides and Meet and Greeters work as employees for companies, but many also work as independents on a free-lance basis for anyone who needs group-handling services. This also includes work at conventions, incentive tours or for special interest groups or individuals, etc.
Our Members do participate in our numerous association meetings, fam trips and educational gatherings, plus reading our e-mails and Member's Only site to constantly improve and up-grade their many skills.
Member benefits include:
- Professional development (good guides made even better) through the various educational events, including guest speakers, a variety of different tourism related meeting locations and trips that we offer (day trips and overnight) between October and May
- Discovering different areas where you might do other tours within Vancouver, BC and beyond
- Our Member's Only website, which includes guiding and tourism related news and information (including short commentary updates, route delays or changes and various job offers)
- Passes from various local attractions
- Providing a voice for tour guides and a place to exchange information with other professional members
- Letting others know about us so they will recognize tour guides as a valuable asset in the tourism and service industry
- Knowing that you are part of the guiding community or "family"
- Networking and getting to know better those Members you are familiar with, plus meeting the many new Members who join the CTGA of BC each year
Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Tour Guide Association of British Columbia. We hope to see you at one of our future meetings or to hear from you again soon.